Ideas for supporting your Year 3 child at home
- Recall 3, 4 and 8 multiplications as well as their division facts
- Measure objects around the house using a ruler and record in mm & cm
- Baking is a great way to measure mass and capacity
- Tell and write the time in 24 hours and analogue. Ask your children to help create a timetable that includes times. Read to the quarter hour and the nearest 5 minutes
- Draw 2D shapes, name and describe and use a ruler to measure their sides
- Add and subtract money using both pounds and pence
- Get a piece of paper and ask your child to show everything they know about addition (partitioning / whole part model / expanded numbers). This could include drawings, explanations, methods.
English Reading focus
- Share stories:
- talk about the story together
- what did you enjoy about the book?
- what would you change?
- -if you could be a character in a book which one would it be and why?
- if you could change the ending how would you change it?
- Write a book review.
- Use a dictionary to explore new vocabulary. Is there a different word that could be used without changing the meaning? (The large tree … The giant tree…)