Ideas for supporting your Year 1 child at home
- Find objects around your home and use your phonics to label them.
- Read a book every day and write a sentence about what happened in the story, remembering to include capital letter and full stops.
- Collect 10 pairs of socks, use them to practise counting in 2s
- Get a pile of your favourite toys or Lego, group them into tens and ones and count how many you have
- Get some seeds and plant them, record how high your plant grows each day.
English Reading focus
- Share stories:
- talk about the story together
- what did you enjoy about the book?
- -if you could be a character in a book which one would it be and why?
- Create a book mark, perhaps you could choose characters from your favourite story
- Read a chapter book to your child. Talk about any unfamiliar words. Can you find that word in the dictionary?
- Find a favourite book. Can you read it to someone?