At St Mary’s we are committed to delivering a rich and varied curriculum using a creative approach to teaching. The core skills from the National Curriculum form the basis for each topic. A new class topic is studied every half term. Topics are launched with an exciting ‘BIG BANG’ to enthuse and inspire learning.
We run an exciting two-year rolling programme of engaging and fun topics, through which to teach all the aspects of the new National Curriculum.
At Key Stage One, phonics is taught using the Letters and Sounds scheme.
At St Mary’s CP School, we are committed to providing a curriculum which:
- Is nurturing and puts the needs of all children at the heart of everything we do
- Is carefully planned to be relevant and inspiring by providing exciting, stimulating opportunities through creative topics, that enable every individual to enjoy learning and achieve
- Supports our pupils, through flexible differentiation, in becoming well-rounded, inclusive, resilient and considerate
- Invites children’s ideas passions and curiosity to form part of our learning journey
- Develops and inspires inquisitive minds
- Supports every child to experience success and feel valued
- Respects British Values, instilling a sense of democracy, liberty and the rule of law
- Embraces the wider community and encourages respect for our diverse society irrespective of faith, race, belief or culture
- Promotes a willingness to participate in and respond positively to different opportunities
So that our children:
- Are resilient
- Are aware of our place in the world, having a sense of global responsibility
- Are confident that they can succeed
- Demonstrate mutual respect and co-operation
- Value all members of our community the wider world
- Feel safe and secure, included, listened to and valued
- Develop wide ranging skills that promote opportunity
- Feel proud of themselves, our school and all that they achieve